This picture was taken On February 27, 2004. Savannah and I were playing in the basement and she was showing me some of her skills that she learned from gymnastics earlier that day. She was happy and healthy, like most 4 year olds. The next evening Savannah was hospitalized.
February 28th, 2004 was like any other night in the Dewhurst household. Earlier that day Savannah was filling a little ill and she was dehydrated so we took her to the clinic. The doctors told her that she probably had a stomach virus going around, so they sent her home with some antibiotics. Little did we know that she had a sickness that could change her life forever. That night I woke up to Savannah screaming like I have never heard before. Her eyes were gazing wildly and her body contorting. These episodes occurred about every five minutes and appeared as severe stomach cramps. Mom took her to the ER at about 2 a.m. Wednesday morning. Savannah was admitted. After five tests, examinations by eight physicians, all gastro-intestinal illnesses were eliminated as possibilities. Even though she did not display some of the typical symptoms of Meningitis at CT Scan of her brain was conduct which was negative. A Lombard Puncture (Spinal Tap) was done and several hours later Meningitis was confirmed.She was then given Morphine to reduce the severe pain as well as a wide range of medications for infection, inflammation, seizures, and more. Later that week Savannah was moved to ICU where she could be more closely monitored. No one was allowed in her room without a mask and a gown to prevent the spreading of germs. After days of tests they came to the conclusion that Savannah had encephalitis, which was a more serious form of meningitis

The month she was in the hospital, she experienced more pain and suffering that most of as could even imagine. It was so hard to see my baby sister like this. Slowly but surely Savannah began being responsive and saying a few words. When I saw Savannah smile, for the first time in weeks, I became so hopeful of her survival. So many prayers were poured onto Savannah and our family and without God I do not know how we would have made it through.Freshman year, I went to Spring Break to compete in a track meet in Orlando. When I came home I got the best suprise ever!!! My little sister was home! I walked to the back of her room and she was laying on the floor with Kelsies boyfriend Taylor. She could not do anything but lay there and smile but for me that was good enough.

This is Savannah's 5th birthday. She got a golden retriever (sugar bear) and he always takes care of her. He is such a good therapeutic dog for her to have
Savannah's Illness was not going to stop her from having fun and being apart of her big sister Melanie's Wedding. Here it shows Melanie and Pete helping Savannah dance the day before their wedding.
Savannah was a wonderful flower girl at Melanie and Pete's wedding. Since she was not capable of walking down the aisle, She was pulled down in a white wagon. It brought everyone to tears.
Savannah was a wonderful flower girl at Melanie and Pete's wedding. Since she was not capable of walking down the aisle, She was pulled down in a white wagon. It brought everyone to tears.






Savannah has made so much improvment because of all her friends at therapy




Savannah is a great aunt to Caroline Jean Swinson







Savannah has become a wonderful swimmer! She loves the water!
This is Savannah now. She is a miracle. Although she still struggles with balance and other capabilities, she has had a dramatic improvement since this time 4 years ago. I am so proud of Savannah and I am so thankful the LORD healed her so she could be apart of my life.

This is Savannah now. She is a miracle. Although she still struggles with balance and other capabilities, she has had a dramatic improvement since this time 4 years ago. I am so proud of Savannah and I am so thankful the LORD healed her so she could be apart of my life.












What a precious gift from God this sweet little lady is. I know she has blessed this family more than they ever imagined. Great post Stef!
ReplyDeleteStefanie,
ReplyDeleteHow precious! You really did a great job on this post. Savannah is a walking, talking miracle from God and we are so thankful that she is in our lives!
Love You! Stacy